AA’s Highest Rated B&B in the New Forest National Park – May 07
The Cottage Lodge New Forest B&B - Brockenhurst
Cottage Lodge New Forest B&B Environment Policy
We feel passionately about our impact on the beautiful New Forest. We are trying to be as careful as we can. There are days we fail. There are things we know we can do better and we are working on. If you have any suggestions we will be delighted to hear from you. Either talk to us directly or put your suggestions on our guest feedback forms.
So that you can have a flavour of what we are trying to do we have listed below how we strive to reduce our waste, pollution, carbon impact and environmental impact:
- All the ingredients of your cooked breakfast come from the Forest (lowering food mileage – we were a finalist for Local Produce User of the Year 2006).
- We use Fair Trade products where no local product is available
- We offer tea and cakes to anyone arriving by train or who parks their car for 24 hrs
- We support local New Forest Marque products (sourced and produced in the forest)
- We encourage wildlife into our garden
- Your room is cleaned with environmentally friendly products (less pollution)
- We use low energy light bulbs (reducing our carbon impact).
- We buy our energy from renewable resources
- The insulation of the building has been improved as much as possible
- Your water is heated in an energy efficient boiler
- We collect run off water from the roof to water the garden
- Your housekeepers will recycle the paper and glass waste in your room bin
- We change your sheets every three days – reducing washing
- If you want your towels changed put them in the bath or shower. If they are hanging up or put back on the towel rail we will leave them with you for another day
- Your laundry is washed with environmentally friendly products in an energy efficient machine
- During the warmer months your laundry is line dried
- We strive to make efficient use of paper (visitor info packs, confirmations by email)
- We strive to reduce portion packs where possible
- We try to organise our day so that we are not wasteful and use machines efficiently
- We return the jam jars, New Forest water bottles, egg cartons and boxes from the farms to the producers for re-use
If you want to join us :
- We invite you to switch off your lights when you are not using them.
- We invite you to use water with care
- You are also invited to turn your television off at the mains when you are not using it so that the little red light switches off .
- If you would like to leave your car in the car park you are very welcome to leave it there all day – and we give you free tea and cakes to say thank you.
- If you would like to buy New Forest Marque produce from the local shops this will help the local economy and reduce the environmental impact.
And finally, I just want to thank you for your help and assure you no one will check what you choose to do. The most important thing is that you have a lovely stay with us.
Christina & David